Sunday, November 24, 2019

A Knitted Lace Baby Shawl

Well, once again it has been a while. I do create every day, just some things come under the 'slow' heading.

This baby shawl is one of them. Started back in May, it has been finished for a while. I just couldn't show it until now. I has been made for my new great nephew who has only just arrived. 

The pattern is 'Hush little Baby Please Don't Cry', a free on-line one, but with mistakes in the pattern. I  overcome the pattern mistakes, and also made it larger.

The central pattern was easy enough, it was the edge that was new to me. I have done baby shawls before where edges are worked separately, then sewn onto the central panel. This one was worked out sideways from the central panel, and bound off at the same time it was attached.

I was also introduced to 'lifelines' in this project. I have been knitting for over 50 years and only learnt about them with this shawl. A very handy slice of knowledge for lace knitting that is well worth knowing.

The blocking was also new to me. I have only ever steamed blocked before. This one was wet blocked, rolled in a towel, then pinned out onto a blocking board. So glad I did! The lace center all opened up, and the edge got it's points!


Look at how it came off the needles! Wet blocking and pinning out made a huge difference!

The shawl has been worked in Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 3 ply 100% wool, and is now finally with it's new owner.

No comments: