Monday, May 16, 2011

The Knitting Bug

I've been hit by the knitting bug.

I was given some lovely textured yarn a few months back as a gift & it has been sitting there waiting patiently for me to decide what to do with it. I knew I had to add something to it, but first I had to decide what to make and a scarf was the obvious choice. So when my long time friend M... came for a visit from the country, we headed off into the city to Morris & Sons to see what we could find. Well of course there was plenty, & I came home with some 8 ply in two colours & a pattern for a ruffled scarf.

That night I dug out my knitting needles & as the 8 ply required a different size needle to my textured yarn, I chose a needle size halfway between the two. Nothing like a little creative knitting!

After a little play, I decided to go down a size, but found that my lovely needles that I'd had for many years had started to deteriorate. All the coating was starting to come off & the yarn was catching. Bugger! Not to worry, I had another stash that had belonged to my Mum & I found a pair of appropriate size in plastic which got me out of trouble.

So last Saturday I visited my local Lincraft store to stock up on my knitting needle supply. It had been years since I had bought any, I had a great range of sizes. So much variety! Which length to choose? Metal, plastic or bamboo? I am used to knitting with metal needles so kept with those in a long length. Then I spied these lovely wooden ones with turned ends which I can't wait to try.

So what am I knitting? My ruffled scarf of course! I started off with the pattern I bought, then found a similar one elsewhere but with great variations, so I am trying one variation in a cheap yarn to see if I like it or not. It has picots along the edge, something I have not done before. I hadn't knitted ruffles like this before either but they are relatively easy.


Once I finish this one, then I will decide how I can incorporate my lovely textured multi coloured yarn with my plain coloured wool. The weather has turned decidedly chilly with snow falling last week not to far away so scarves will come in very handy.

4 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love knitting scarves! There's no worry about whether or not they'll fit. A little bit of luscious yarn goes a long way. Then, to top it off, scarves can be worn every day!

Your scarf is beautiful! Have fun with your new needles!

Linda said...

Looks like you are having fun clickety clacking too Jenny. There's something about the cooler weather that brings out the knitter in all of us I think. Love the scarf you are making, haven't seen that before, but I can sort of understand how it's done. Can't wait to see what more you make. Scarves are great, no need to worry about yarn/needle regimes, just get in and go for it.

LeAnne said...

Too funny, I too have picked back up my knitting needles after a couple of years... I love your scarf... what is the pattern? would love to see if our yarn shop would have it. You will love those fancy spooled end needles.. My favorite is Lantern Moon... they are beautiful and the glide off the needle fabulous. Lil costly but worth it... Have fun with your knitting and keep us posted. :)

Nor Haniza (Niza Taj) said...

nice !!
love your site very much !:)

www.nizadelicious.com