Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Can't See The Forrest For The Trees

One of the on-line groups that I belong to has put up a challenge called "Can't See The Forrest For The Trees". The group is all about using the computer for textile art. So with this piece I have used some digital artistry on two differnt photos of the gum trees in our neighbours back yard. It is still a digital image at this stage, but I do have some plans for it. I just have to find the time!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

First Reticella Sample

After spending a whole 12 months studying the art of Drawn Tread Embroidery, I realized that there was a whole lot more that I needed to do & try. So this year was to be a year of playing and learning Reticella. This is only one type of Drawn Thread embroidery & is the pre-runner to "Punto In Aria" or "Stitches In The Air". It was huge around the late 1400's in Italy & I have so much admiration for the women who created such beautiful pieces. I need my glasses, good light, & sometimes a magnifier to do this, so imagine working this beautiful embroidery with none of this!

So this is my first sample. I so wanted to learn how to do those horrid little buttonholed triangles, and try as I might I could not get them the same! Then I was introduced to a wonderful new book which gave me a whole new insight in how to do them. From then on I was on a roll. Now all I need to do is plan out a major piece & I will be set!

A Fun Day With Dye

This morning was a fun morning playing with some dye. The whole purpose of the session was to dye a piece of even weave linen ready for a major piece of embroidery. Normally when I have to dye something, I am scratching for pieces of fabric or thread to use up all the left over dye. I was prepared today though, I had been into Spotlight yesterday & bought some white homespun & embroidery threads. So now I have a range of threads & fabrics, ranging in colour from leaf green to torquoise. Most of the pieces I have used a resist of some kind to give variety. I know what I want to do with the even weave linen, but what I will do with the rest will have to wait & see. My threads are still drying so they will have to wait for a day or two until they appear here. Now I can progress on my piece of work ready for exhibition in October.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Seniors Challange Bag

Back in February I was figuring out a challenge to give to my Seniors Class. The challenge was for them to use their scraps of fabric, cut them into strips, then do something extra with the strips & make the finished product into something usefull. This little carry bag was my attempt at my challenge for them. All of the fabrics were already in my stash, as were the handles, and the only thing I had to buy was another reel of quilting thread. I thought I was being smart & using what I had in my stash, but there was not enough of the orange thread to finish the quilting. The paisley design is my own digitized one. I had been playing with creating my own pattern runs & the little scallop around the edge ( which is not really visible in this pic) is my own attempt at digitizing a pattern run.

Well, this little bag is finished, the term is over, & it is time to come up with another challenge for them. I have thoughts for a new one, probably to do with colour. Hopefully it will help them to understand the terms of contrast, harmonious, triadic, tints & shade.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Another Shoe Bag

Last week I thought I had better get in do another shoe bag. The exhibition is getting closer by the day & I still have 5 to do. So this is my first attempt at digitizing ballet shoes & I am pretty happy with them. The polycotton fabric I am not very happy with as it has wrinkled a bit, even with a good stabilizer behind it. I must just use a good quality cotton for the rest of them. I have a few weeks holidays from classes so I must make an effort to get the rest done. I still have to sew the bags up, this is only the digitizing.

Monday, April 02, 2007

A drawn Thread Mesh Experiment

It has been a while since I have posted anything to this, I have been stitching, just not posting here. Anyway, here is a little experiment I have been working on getting ready for a major piece later in the year. I have wanted to play with drawn thread meshes for some time and this is one of the first. This one uses handdyed fabric, hand dyed & silver threads, though I am not sure the silver is real visible.

There may be a few more pics in the next few days if I can get this computer & camera worked out. Since my PC has been fixed, everything has changed. I get a different program popping up now not only when I scan things but when I go to download pics from my camera. It is like a whole new learning curve again. Oh well, I guess I will have to just work it all out.