Tuesday, June 07, 2011

The Penguin Quilt

This little penguin quilt is another one for charity that I have been working on. One lady has
pieced it all together & layered all the appliqué pieces. I have stitched the appliqués in place.

Some of the pieces are so tiny, like the fish tails in the corners & the eyes of the penguins that were only a few mm across. So with the combination of my own machining skills & my trusty Bernina I am happy with the result. I love my Artista 17o, she does anything I ask of her without complaint.

The quilt will now go back to my sewing group for someone else to quilt & bind, ready for some very lucky small child.

Friday, June 03, 2011

The Hippo Quilt

My local sewing group is sewing for charity. This little hippo quilt is one of the many that are being made. The center features a cute little hippopotamus stitched in pinks, blues, mauves & black. It is a digitised design & has been stitched by another lady in the group. Other mebers have added scrap fabrics to the edges to turn this into a delightful little quilt.

For my part, I added the bind. I like stitching binds, especially creating the mitre in the corner.

A sick little girl should be happy to receive this.

Thursday, June 02, 2011

New Gloves

Behold, my new gloves! This is a first for me, to knit gloves that is. I always looked upon them as too hard.

The yarn is a red Merino Bambino 4ply by Cleckheaton, an Australian Pure New Wool . The pattern is one of my Mums, Patons Classic Book 50, possibly from around the early 1970's.

Besides the yarn & the needle size, I have knitted them to the pattern. The pattern was for a 4ply using a slightly smaller needle size than that listed on the label of my yarn. I opted to use what was suggested on the label.

When I knit my next pair, I will change the pattern slightly. The fingers are a little long, especially the fourth or little finger. I could do with a good 1.5cm off the length. I found this a little surprising as my own fingers are quite long.

As for the actual knitting, the only tricky part was at the base of each finger. The yarn had to be joined in, stitches picked up, knit part way, turn & cast on, all in a few short rows. I found I had to really concentrate for this small section. The rest was easy.

Now I have made one pair, I will quite happily make more. These are much warmer than my commercially made pair. I am on the lookout though for a 4ply pattern on circular needles as I am not fussed with the seams up each finger on this pair. I am also not fussed with the way the finger tops are finished. The next pair though will be a little more creative than plain stocking stitch. I'll see what I can find.