Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Waste Not Want Not


A few years ago I was given a bag full of scrap triangles. They were off-cuts from someone's quick method of making a Flying Geese quilt. I brought them home & had a play, thinking I would join them together & just see how far they would take me. All the triangles were slightly different sizes but they all had one thing in common, they were all right angled triangles. So over time I have joined them together, and then re-cut them into the same size squares. I have 157 of thes little squares, & have worked out that if I join them together into strips, and add in some strips in a plain colour, I have enough for a quilt. As I child I was taught not to waste anything, so I am making use of someone else's waste, making it into something very useful. What a shame though that I have to visit the fabric store to purchase fabric for the other strips!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Most of the early quilts had a mixture of old and new fabric, I think, so you're just continuing a venerable tradition!

Hilary Metcalf said...

Jenny - don't know if you have realised, but if these started off as right angled triangles, then the two short sides are on the straight of grain and the long side is on the bias. usually, two of these would be joined together to form a square. By joining them the way you have, you have all the outside edges on the bias - which is going to make your quilt vulnerable to stretching out of shape.